A 10-year-old Australian woman had to be hospitalized in intensive care in Alice Springs (central Australia) after being bitten by a poisonous snake in her bed.
The mulga snake also called the brown snake, had slipped into the girl’s bed without anyone noticing. So much so that when the little girl went to bed, she probably woke up the snake which then bit her on the foot.
“She used her other foot to scratch the area where she was bitten, not knowing what had happened… and the snake then bit her on the bottom of the other foot,” explained Rex Neindorf, rescue manager, quoted by ABC.
Alerted, the parents acted quickly, without giving in to panic, providing first aid to the girl while waiting for the ambulance to arrive. Rex Neindorf praised the calm demonstrated by the whole family, including the young victim.
VERY AGGRESSIVE SNAKE
The child was hospitalized in intensive care, where his condition is considered stable. She suffers from biting pain as well as nausea and vomiting. By identifying the snake, medical personnel were able to administer the correct anti-venom.
The mulga snake is known to be very aggressive and its venom very powerful. According to the rescue officer, the current very humid weather conditions in central Australia, have exacerbated the hostile behaviour of these reptiles, leading to an upsurge in attacks.